Question of the Week: Recommend some of your favorite back-list books - books that are at least a few years old (I’m thinking 5-10 years old rather than classics)
- Sabriel, Lirael, Abhorsen (the whole trilogy dammit!) by Garth Nix - Severely under-appreciated high fantasy with great female characters.
- Alanna Quartet by Tamora Pierce - Amazing books with underlying feminism. Also high fantasy and the peak of my favorite trope (girls dressing as boys to have adventures). These are my go-to read whenever I have a reading slump.
- Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta - HELL YEAH I CAN RECOMMEND THIS AGAIN. Seriously this book is confusing at first but breathtakingly by the end. Melina Marchetta writes the most authentic characters I've ever read.
- Bloody Jack by LA Meyers - This book is just squeaking in age-wise BUT it also includes my favorite trope. The story of a street girl who joins the British Navy and has adventures throughout history.
- The Boyfriend List by E. Lockhart - I'm amazed that this one is old enough to fall in the list (2005!) Ruby Oliver is my fictional best friend y'all. This book seems deceptively light, but it's a lot of fun with great underlying subtle messages about self-love and feminism.