What is a book that you didn't like that all your friends raved about or what book did you love that wasn't popular?I have to say I cannot think of a book immediately that my friend loved and I hated. My book blogging friends, bless them and their wonderful recommendations and good taste, seem to be pretty reliable sources. Sometimes I know based on reviews and interests that I won't like a book that they like but normally their reviews give me enough information to make an informed decision (i.e. not reading it). That is reason 1,000,001 why bloggers and goodreaders are the best ever.
Here's a list of a few books that quasi-fit the guidelines:
- Quite a few of my friends disliked The Adoration of Jenna Fox but because of their bad reviews I was prepared for a disappointing ending and able to enjoy the book.
- I'm surprised by how little attention Sorta Like a Rockstar received (though it seems to have picked up since Silver Linings Playbook by the same author became popular)
- Only four of my Goodreads friends have read Alif the Unseen even though 27 have it shelved. Seriously folks what are you waiting for? Get on that yesterday.
- The Lions of Little Rock should be way more popular than it is. Yes it's middle grade and historic but very very very good. None of my goodreads friends have read this gem. It even made my best of 2012 list (surprising even me).
- The Shwa Was Here should be way more popular especially considering the popularity of Unwind.
- Anna and the French Kiss a lot of people loved. I felt (considering my normal tastes) predictably meh towards it.
- Oh and I don't do Sarah Dessen. I've tried twice and both times were pretty bad experiences.